School Construction Updates
JULY 18, 2017
Progress is being made on the choir/band addition and the front entrance.
JUNE 20, 2017
The brown house has been demolished and support beams are going up for the new choir/band addition.
JUNE 13, 2017
School is out and construction (demolition!) is ramping up! No more front entrance and no more stage in the cafetorium.
MAY 24, 2017
Concrete was poured for walls that will go up for the new addition in the front of our school, which will feature not only new choir and band rooms (and teacher offices), but also new restrooms that will replace the ones we currently have off the main hallway.
MAY 23, 2017
Click here for an update from Roaring Fork Schools about summer construction impacts on Basalt schools.
APRIL 19, 2017
Click here for a slide presentation that Mr. Mueller gave at today's community meeting. It includes some images of the cool furniture that will go in our new, flexible "commons and cafe" space (aka the current cafetorium)!
APRIL 17, 2017
Click here for an update from FCI Constructors, Inc.
APRIL 14, 2017
A construction trailer now sits in the school parking lot, the parking lot is down 30 spaces to make room for construction vehicles, the athletic-wing corridor is blocked off, a new concrete walkway has been poured by the front entrance…. Indeed lots of construction is underway!
Several school renovations are taking place this spring and summer thanks to the bond that local voters approved in November 2015, which made $122 million available to the Roaring Fork Schools for construction projects across the district. Approximately $9 million will be spent on projects at BHS, including:
• building brand-new choir/band rooms and teacher office space (in the area in the front of the school currently fenced off by chain-link fence)
• building new entry and renovate administrative area to improve security and visibility
• enlarging the current cafeteria into the current choir/band space, to create a totally renovated "commons" area for dining, flexible workspace, gathering space, performance space (a new stage will be built) with state-of-the-art sound and lighting.
• totally renovating cafeteria kitchen for upgraded equipment and smoother serving area
• replacing gym bleachers
• mitigating football field drainage issues
• regrading pedestrian path around football field
Bond projects also include revamping some of the parking lot and tearing down the brown house in the front of BHS (currently housing the Basalt Recreation Department); here's a news story about that project: http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/174746
On this blueprint below, you can see that the brown house is gone, parking is reconfigured, and there is an addition to the school out front:
This is a drawing of what the renovated kitchen and new cafe/commons will look like, with totally reconfigured stage. It also shows the band/choir rooms addition, as well as new restrooms:
This is what the front of our school will look like:
This is the view of the new cafe/commons, as seen from the new lobby area:
Here's the new "Main Street," looking down the hallway to the administrative offices. Note the two level entry, allowing plenty of natural light in:
The new sunken "Commons" with the area for cafe seating at left: