School Construction Updates
APRIL 17, 2017
Click here for an upate from FCI Constructors, Inc.
APRIL 14, 2017
A construction trailer now sits in the school parking lot, the parking lot is down 30 spaces to make room for construction vehicles, the athletic-wing corridor is blocked off, a new concrete walkway has been poured by the front entrance…. Indeed lots of construction is underway!
Several school renovations are taking place this spring and summer thanks to the bond that local voters approved in November 2015, which made $122 million available to the Roaring Fork Schools for construction projects across the district. Approximately $9 million will be spent on projects at BHS, including:
• building brand-new choir/band rooms and teacher office space (in the area in the front of the school currently fenced off by chain-link fence)
• building new entry and renovate administrative area to improve security and visibility
• enlarging the current cafeteria into the current choir/band space, to create a totally renovated "commons" area for dining, flexible workspace, gathering space, performance space (a new stage will be built) with state-of-the-art sound and lighting.
• totally renovating cafeteria kitchen for upgraded equipment and smoother serving area
• replacing gym bleachers
• mitigating football field drainage issues
• regrading pedestrian path around football field
Bond projects also include revamping some of the parking lot and tearing down the brown house in the front of BHS (currently housing the Basalt Recreation Department); here's a news story about that project: http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/174746
On this blueprint below, you can see that the brown house is gone, parking is reconfigured, and there is an addition to the school out front:
This is a drawing of what the renovated kitchen and new cafe/commons will look like, with totally reconfigured stage. It also shows the band/choir rooms addition, as well as new restrooms:
This is what the front of our school will look like:
This is the view of the new cafe/commons, as seen from the new lobby area:
Here's the new "Main Street," looking down the hallway to the administrative offices. Note the two level entry, allowing plenty of natural light in:
The new sunken "Commons" with the area for cafe seating at left: